With Canada Day just coming to a close, I thought it would be appropriate to write about five things a travelling Canuck misses when they’re away from home. Of course, these are just my opinion, but I think they hit pretty close to home.
1. The Wilderness: There are plenty of startlingly beautiful places in the world, but I would argue us Canadians are partial to the encompassing evergreen forests, the towering mountains and rugged coastline. When I travel I always appreciate the new sights I see, from the bustling cosmopolitan of a huge American city, to a historical chapel in Italy, to the sprawling Outback in Australia, but I find myself thinking of the beauty at home. For me, nothing compares!
2. Tap water: There’s just something so great about going anywhere in Canada and not having to worry about whether you can drink the tap water or not. And to top it off, it’s delicious!
3. Friendly strangers: Sure, it’s a generalization to say that everyone in Canada is polite and pleasant (I’ve worked in customer service, so I know this is not true!) but I can definitely say there’s a sense of openness surrounding Canadians that you don’t feel anywhere else in the world. Whether it’s asking a bus driver for directions or just grabbing a coffee, you’re more than likely to have a positive encounter with a Canadian.
4. The air: One of the coolest things about traveling is getting off the plane and taking a deep breath, inhaling the new scent. There’s even nuances between Canadian air; I could always tell the difference as soon as I stepped off a plane from Toronto into Victoria. But there’s nothing quite so sweet as being away from home for a long time and stepping off that plane and taking a deep drag of clean, Canadian air.
5. Hockey: Is there anything more exciting than being in a foreign country and seeing someone with a hockey jersey on? It’s like finding an instant friend…or a mortal enemy depending on the jersey! Having to endure other country’s national sports plastered on billboard and TVs just makes me crave coming home to watch the best sport on Earth.
Do you agree or disagree with my choices? Let me know in the comments!